Friday 11 March 2011

Good homes wanted for Charlie, George and Eric

A BALANCE OF FRAGMENTS (ERIC DOLPHY) 1999


OF THEE I SING, BABE (GEORGE GERSHWIN) 1997


SWING BECKONS CHARLIE (CHARLIE CHRISTIAN) 1997


All these paintings were products of the 90s, and they were part of a great series of big metre-square canvases depicting my jazz heroes, from John Coltrane to Mike Westbrook. When this lot go, all of my jazz pictures will be out into the world (apart from a large MJQ picture called The Ministry Of Jazz).

I need to say goodbye for two reasons, first, I need the money, and second, so does my family. Also I think I need to fund some research of a non-jazzy commercial application of my work. So, bye lads, it was nice knowing you.

They are all 36 inches square. The most famous buyer of my work is an inventive, prolific and melodic bass player who bought a picture of Miles called Moondreams, and also worked with Miles and Gil Evans. Anthony Minghella phoned me once to see if I could provide him with some Billie Holidays for The Talented Mister Ripley, but they wee too big.

They are unframed and they are oil paintings, They are painted from photographs, but inhabit a context of their own, inspired by the music and times they lived.

They are £3500 each.

Contact me by email or phone +44 (0) 7881 911063

No comments:

Post a Comment